NYC Stairway Accident Lawyers
Experienced Stairway Accidents Lawyers In NYC
Regrettably, numerous accidents on stairways occur when property owners neglect to address unsafe conditions. Hazards such as missing or inadequate railings, loose carpeting, and defective stairs can lead to slips and falls. These incidents often result in severe injuries, rendering victims unable to work or perform daily tasks.
If you have been involved in a staircase accident caused by a property owner’s negligence, it is crucial to seek immediate legal counsel. The skilled NYC stairway accident lawyers at Rosenberg & Rodriguez can assist you in gathering evidence, securing eyewitness accounts, and establishing liability. Our goal is to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to. Contact our office today for a free case evaluation and learn more about the compensation that you may be entitled to.
Stairway Accidents Are Common In New York City
Stairway accidents are more common and severe than many people realize. According to data from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS), stairs are a leading cause of product-related injuries in the United States. People of all ages, both men and women, can suffer serious injuries from stair accidents.
In 2018 alone, stair accidents resulted in 1.2 million visits to the emergency room, surpassing the combined number of accidents involving ATVs, football, swimming pools, hot tubs, fireworks, and trampolines. A fall down the stairs can lead to significant health issues, including:
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Damage to wrist, ankle, knee, and shoulder joints
- Fractures and broken bones
- Herniated discs and other spinal injuries
- Internal injuries
- In extreme cases, paralysis or death
Severe injuries often necessitate comprehensive medical treatment, including multiple surgeries, extensive physical therapy, and prolonged medication. As a result, victims may face challenges in both their professional lives and everyday activities, making it difficult to earn a living or engage in regular routines.
When Is A Property Owner Liable For A Stairway Accident?
Stairway injuries are classified as premises liability cases. It is the responsibility of property owners to ensure safe conditions within their buildings. If they fail to prevent or address hazardous conditions, they can be held accountable for any resulting injuries to tenants, workers, or visitors. Negligence examples may include:
- Freshly mopped stairs are slick with water, but no signs were put in place to warn people of the danger.
- A leaky roof causes water to pool on the stairs. Although the property owners have been repeatedly notified of the unsafe conditions, they have failed to address the leak.
- A staircase has loose or rotting boards that are clearly unsafe.
- A staircase has uneven risers or treads, excessively long nosing, or protuberances that constitute a trip hazard.
- The handrail is missing or insufficient.
- Building debris is left in a stairwell with poor lighting.
- Freezing rain two days ago caused ice to form on an outdoor staircase, but the property owner failed to apply salt or remove the ice.
Can I Sue A Property Owner For A Stairway Accident?
To pursue a lawsuit for a stairway fall, it is necessary to establish that you sustained injuries on someone else’s property. Moreover, you need to provide evidence for the following:
- The existence of unsafe conditions prior to the accident,
- The property owner’s knowledge or creation of these hazardous conditions, and
- The failure of the property owner to address them within a reasonable timeframe.
Defendants often counter the claims by asserting that the injured party’s own negligence caused the accident. They may employ experts to inspect the stairs and confirm compliance with building codes. They might argue that the injured person was distracted or impaired, thereby attributing fault to them.
While a fall can clearly be the direct cause of an injury (e.g., a delivery person’s foot breaking through a decaying step resulting in a broken ankle), in other instances, a fall can exacerbate a pre-existing condition. This is particularly true for individuals with neck or back injuries. In such cases, the defendant often contends that the injuries predated the accident or were of a degenerative nature.
Contact Our NYC Stairway Accident Lawyers Today
Our NYC stairway accident lawyers at Rosenberg & Rodriguez have built a strong reputation with their extensive track record of securing multimillion-dollar awards and settlements for their clients. If you have been injured in a stairway accident caused by the property owner’s negligence, you can trust our dedicated attorneys to work tirelessly on your behalf. We will aggressively fight for the maximum compensation you deserve, utilizing our expertise and experience in personal injury law. With our unwavering commitment to your case, you can have peace of mind knowing that you have a team of legal professionals by your side, ready to advocate for your rights and ensure that you receive the justice and financial recovery you are entitled to.