Bronx Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers In The Bronx
Our experienced Bronx drunk driving accident lawyers have witnessed the hazards associated with an inebriated driver. In New York, operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol is strictly forbidden and comes with severe repercussions, like fines and jail time; however, people apart from this intoxicated individual are also placed at risk due to their reckless decision-making. Indeed, when someone elects to drive while impaired they not only endanger themselves but others on the road as well.
Drunk driving accidents can be devastating, sometimes ending in serious injury or even wrongful death. Even though it may not be hard to prove that a drunk driver was at fault for the accident and ensuing injuries, those injured still face many obstacles when seeking justice.
If you have been in a car accident with an intoxicated driver, then you may be able to take legal action and file a lawsuit against the party responsible. At Rosenberg & Rodriguez, our skilled personal injury attorneys recognize the hardships those affected by reckless drivers go through – for this reason we are devoted to helping individuals get their life back on track by striving for maximum compensation via legal means. Contact our office today for a free consultation and to learn more about how we can help.
Bronx Drunk Drivers Can Cause Serious Injuries
If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in a car accident, there is always the risk of severe injury. Sadly, these risks increase exponentially when drinking and driving are a factor. This is due to impaired judgment that can cause drivers to ignore traffic signals, make dangerous maneuvers on the road, or follow too closely behind other vehicles – all of which can have devastating consequences for victims. Long-term effects such as chronic pain and impairment may linger even after months or years since the initial incident; some injuries inflicted by drunk drivers may never go away completely. Examples of common drunk driving injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries – After a Bronx drunk driving accident, victims can be left with long-term impaired mobility or even paralysis as a result of spinal cord injury. These life-altering consequences are devastating and should not be taken lightly.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) can be notoriously damaging to those affected, as they often cause debilitating headaches and impair focus, memory retention skills, as well as emotional regulation. Recovery times tend to be lengthy; in extreme cases resulting in life-long assistance or care being required. It is essential that victims of concussions take the appropriate steps necessary for proper rehabilitation in order to maximize their chance of returning back to health safely.
- Broken bones – A broken bone can have lasting implications beyond an initial healing period. In addition to increased difficulty with mobility, pain, and potentially arthritis in the affected area down the road, those who suffer a fracture could face other detrimental health problems associated with their injury.
- Cuts and lacerations – While many consider cuts and lacerations to be minor injuries, the scarring that ensues can often be disfiguring. Furthermore, blood loss and infection are both potential risks associated with drunk driving accidents.
Have you been affected by a drunk driving accident in the Bronx? You may have sustained serious injuries or even lost a loved one. If so, our compassionate Bronx drunk driving accident lawyers are here to help and guide you through this difficult time. We understand how devastating these losses can be, which is why we will work tirelessly to ensure that justice is served and fair compensation is awarded for your loss. Reach out today if you want to learn more about filing a wrongful death suit against those responsible for the tragedy of your loved one’s passing due to their negligence on the roadways.
Damages Available In Drunk Driving Accidents
After a car accident, the financial costs can be immense. Depending on your injuries, you could face anywhere from a few thousand dollars to over a million, not to mention the pain and suffering. At Rosenberg & Rodriguez, we do everything in our power to get you full compensation for both economic and non-economic damages alike. You may receive awards that cover:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost salaries
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
Your “pain and suffering” or non-economic damages might include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional state, including anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
To win a just settlement, you must evaluate the full extent of your damages. Our legal professionals will leave no detail undiscovered in helping you gather proof and evidence to support your claim. Do you want to fully understand how we can assist? Get in touch with one of our drunk driving accident lawyers in the Bronx for an initial consultation free of charge!
Understanding New York Dram Shop Liability
The New York State Legislature has implemented laws that give individuals the right to seek compensation from establishments that serve alcohol to already-intoxicated persons. This policy not only works towards shielding the public but also provides an opportunity for those who endure disastrous losses as a result of this irresponsible activity. In creating such statutes and granting citizens legal authority, it is hoped that proprietors will be less likely to engage in hazardous practices due to the risk of being held accountable.
Commonly referred to as The Dram Shop Act, New York General Obligations Laws 11-100 and 11-101 contain provisions that state:
“Any person who knowingly causes such intoxication or impairment of ability by unlawfully furnishing to or unlawfully assisting in procuring alcoholic beverages for such person with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that such person was under the age of twenty-one years.” This law places liability on any individual or entity who sold alcohol to a person under the age of 21. In other words, a liquor store or bar that sold alcohol to an individual that they knew or should have known was under 21, may be liable for any damages the intoxicated individual causes.
“Any person who unlawfully sold or assisted in procuring liquor for such intoxicated person and caused or contributed to such intoxication.” This law places liability on any individual or entity who supplies a visibly intoxicated person with alcohol. In other words, if an employee of a bar or liquor store is aware that one of their customers is intoxicated, they are obligated not to serve them. If they serve their customer despite visible intoxication, they may be liable for any damages that result.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Common Are Car Accidents In The Bronx, NY?
In January 2022, the NYPD recorded a staggering 7,733 motor vehicle crashes across New York City’s five boroughs – 1,460 of which occurred in the Bronx. Regrettably, these accidents caused severe injuries and heartbreaking fatalities; according to NYPD data that same month:
- 312 motorists
- 187 passengers
- 18 bicyclists
- 134 pedestrians
Where Are The Most Dangerous Intersection In The Bronx, NY?
The Bronx in New York City is a hot spot for car crashes, according to the NYPD’s report from January 2022. It accounted for nearly 20% of all automobile accidents that took place across the state during this month. Steer clear of these dangerous roads and intersections if you plan on driving through NYC:
- East 149th Street and Morris Avenue
- East 161st Street and Morris Avenue
- Bruckner Boulevard and St. Ann’s Avenue
- Bruckner Boulevard and Virginia Avenue
- 3rd Avenue and East 163rd St
- East 138th Street and Exterior Street
- Westchester Avenue and White Plains Road
- Grand Concourse
- East 168th Street and Clay Avenue
- City Island Road and Shore Road
What’s The Average Drunk Driving Accident Settlement Worth?
Car accidents are disturbingly prevalent throughout the five boroughs. However, each incident carries its own unique set of circumstances that can influence your injury claim’s value. Typically speaking, the most important aspects to consider when assessing a claim include:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether you’ll miss time at work and lose income
- The price of your medical treatment
- Whether you’ll need assistance with daily activities
- The impact of the injury on your future ability to work
- Damage to your quality of life and psychological wellbeing
- Whether you contributed to the accident
In New York, no-fault insurance laws dictate that you must file a claim for any related expenses covered by your own car insurance policy (if applicable), but if you were severely injured and the costs exceed what is allotted in your policy coverage, then an additional claim can be submitted with the at-fault driver’s insurer.
Do I Have A Valid Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit?
Negligence is undoubtedly present when an individual drives under the influence of alcohol, yet this does not automatically provide grounds for a lawsuit. If someone wants to sue based upon DUI, they must prove that the driver’s intoxication was directly responsible for causing the accident; if another factor led to it, then legal action may be futile. For example, even collisions with impaired drivers who are not at fault can result in no available claim against them.
Additionally, the mishap must have caused either economic or non-economic damages to the injured party. Monetary losses qualify as economic damages; examples include missed wages, medical fees, and property destruction. Non-economic harms are any long-term traumas suffered, such as disfigurement or psychological distress.
Contact Our Bronx Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Today
With car accidents caused by an intoxicated motorist, attempting to gain financial compensation from the insurance company can be a long and arduous process. Unfortunately, in some cases, the perpetrator may not even have auto insurance coverage leaving you without any means of covering medical expenses for your injuries. This makes it essential that you understand what legal actions are available to you if such a scenario occurs so that your rights remain protected at all times.
Even if the driver responsible for your injury is insured, that alone does not guarantee you will receive a sufficient amount to pay for medical treatment or other expenses. That’s why our Bronx drunk driving accident lawyers at Rosenberg & Rodriguez promise to ensure you get the justice and compensation you deserve after being injured due to someone else’s negligence.