Long Island Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Experienced Bicycle Accident Lawyers On Long Island
Cycling is a fantastic way of commuting in New York, particularly during peak traffic hours. Not only does it provide an environmentally friendly alternative to cars but also offers riders the advantage of getting some exercise and breathing fresh air as they make their way to their destination faster than if driving! Biking around Long Island has immense benefits for people of all ages – not just because it helps us keep our environment clean; but also because it keeps you healthy regardless of your age or stage in life. Though, like any metropolitan city, there’s always a risk attached when biking; bicycle accidents are quite common in cities like Long Island.
Even with its numerous benefits, cycling in a metropolitan area can be treacherous due to careless drivers. If you have been injured as the result of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, justice may be served through the New York civil court; financial damages may also be available to you. At Rosenberg & Rodriguez, our Long Island bicycle accident lawyers will fight for your rights and protect what is yours – all with you in mind. Request a free case evaluation now so we can evaluate the details of your crash and how it has impacted you since then. Together, let us ensure that justice is served!
What To Do After A Bicycle Accident On Long Island
After a bicycle accident, it is vital to stay composed and follow the appropriate steps for such an incident. Above everything else, medical treatment should be prioritized – even if there are no initial symptoms of injury or pain resulting from the shock of trauma. Seeking prompt attention can result in better outcomes and quicker recovery times down the road.
Starting your medical care right away is the best way to ensure a swift recovery, and it can also provide evidence of the gravity of your injuries for future use. Apart from seeking immediate treatment, here are some extra measures you should take in case of a biking mishap in Long Island:
To secure your case, it is essential to collect as much evidence from the crash site as you can. Snap pictures of any significant items such as cars, road signs, lights, weather conditions, etc. Gather information regarding other drivers involved in the accident too – along with witnesses or passengers if applicable. This will provide a strong basis for success when settling your claim.
File A Police Report
If you are involved in a car accident, it’s crucial to call the police. In New York, filing an incident report is not necessary if there were no physical injuries or the property damage did not exceed $1,000. However, all other cases – including any amount of property destruction higher than one thousand dollars and minor or severe bodily injury – legally must be reported to law enforcement immediately.
Contact A Long Island Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you have been afflicted with a bicycle accident, it is in your best interest to locate a renowned and dependable bike accident on Long Island. Your lawyer can help you submit your personal injury claim to confirm that you get the rightful settlement for your suffering.
Keep Copies Of Your Bills And Records
Simplify organizing your medical records and costs by keeping all of your receipts and bills in one place. This way, you can track expenses associated with treatments, therapies, drugs, equipment, or any other treatment-related charges more quickly over time. With everything collected in a single location, managing paperwork becomes easier than ever before!
Common Causes Of Bicycle Accidents On Long Island
From other drivers to passengers, cyclists, and pedestrians – motorists have a duty of care that should never be overlooked. If these obligations are disregarded by any driver resulting in an accident with someone on two wheels, they could face legal accountability for damages or injuries caused. Generally speaking, when it is the car operator’s fault for a cycle collision it is often due to careless actions such as:
- Driver fails to yield to a bicyclist at an intersection
- Motor vehicle turns left or right directly in front of a bicyclist
- Distracted or reckless driving near a bicyclist
- A motorist tailgates a bicyclist
- A Motorist fails to properly share the road with bicyclists
- A motorist opening a door into the path of an oncoming bicyclist
- A Motorist driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Injuries From Bicycle Accidents On Long Island
Riders of bicycles living in Long Island may be more prone to face disastrous and even fatal outcomes if they are involved in traffic collisions. Without the protection other vehicles offer, cyclists can sustain severe injuries that could permanently alter their lives – leaving them with physical, emotional, and financial wounds. Injuries experienced by bicyclists from Long Island include:
- Bones that break or are crushed, particularly compound fractures require surgical intervention;
- Severe cuts and wounds from road rash when a cyclist’s body meets the pavement;
- Joint dislocations;
- Crushed arms and legs that doctors sometimes need to amputate;
- Internal organ damage, bleeding, and other injuries;
- Head injuries, which can lead to traumatic brain injuries (TBI), particularly among those who aren’t wearing bike helmets;
- Neck and back injuries can leave bike accident victims with lifelong chronic pain; and
- Spinal cord injuries can lead to permanent paralysis in some or all of the body
Understanding Bicycle Laws In New York
New York State recognizes bicycles as vehicles and requires cyclists to abide by the same driving rules as other vehicles. The following are several laws bicycle riders must obey while in the state:
- Helmets: While not required for all riders, all bicyclists under the age of 14 must wear an approved helmet.
- Riding on the right: Bicyclists must ride as close to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway as is practical, except when passing, making a left turn, avoiding hazards, or when the lane is too narrow to share with a vehicle.
- Traffic laws: Bicyclists must obey all traffic signals and signs, and must use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Lights and reflectors: Bicycles must be equipped with a white headlight and red taillight that are visible from at least 500 feet away, as well as reflectors on the pedals, rear, and sides.
- Riding with headphones: It is illegal to wear more than one earphone or earbud while riding a bicycle.
- DUI laws: Bicyclists can be charged with Driving Under the Influence (DUI) if they are found to be operating a bicycle while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Bike lanes: Bicyclists are encouraged to use bike lanes when they are available, but are not required to do so. However, when riding in a bike lane, bicyclists must use it in the direction of traffic.
It’s essential to remember that these rules may be altered depending on where you are located, so it is recommended to thoroughly research local laws and regulations in your area regarding any additional prerequisites or prohibitions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are My Rights And Duties As A Cyclist In New York?
Cruising the streets of New York on two wheels, particularly in Long Island? Don’t forget to brush up on your rights and responsibilities as a cyclist! It’s essential for cyclists to be aware of their local road rules before they ride – privileges vary from location to location. All riders must follow all laws that motorists abide by, with some exemptions exclusive to those hitting the pavement on bikes.
Cyclists are prohibited from navigating interstates and expressways. Regardless of whether they choose to ride on the road, a bike lane, or a shared-use path, all traffic signals must be respected and turning indicators utilized for safety. In New York City, any violations of these rules can result in being issued with a ticket – parents too have responsibility for their children’s transgressions against the law.
What’s The Average Settlement For A Bicycle Accident?
When a bicyclist has been injured in an accident, insurance companies and attorneys can be at odds when it comes to figuring out the appropriate compensation for the claimant. Insurers are trying their best to resolve cases with as little payout as possible, disregarding any losses that may have been incurred by the individual; on the other hand, lawyers will do what they can to make sure you receive every penny deserved from your damages. There is no definite method used in determining how much economic loss should be rewarded; however, non-economic factors must also play a role during this process.
- Economic loss includes medical bills, lost wages, lost benefits, lost retirement benefits, and other types of loss that are easily quantifiable.
- Non-economic loss includes the physical injury from your bicycle accident and the emotional suffering that you endure due to that injury.
Experiencing physical pain can be a grueling ordeal in its own right, yet mental anguish is often more excruciating. Since attorneys and insurers cannot accurately measure psychological harm inflicted on an individual after a serious injury, they seek the help of medical practitioners or other professionals with expertise in this field to ensure their client receives appropriate compensation for their distress.
Can I Sue The City Of New York If A Road Defect Caused My Accident?
If you were harmed in a cycling crash caused by the negligence of Long Island, then it is your right to take legal action against New York City. Nevertheless, certain rules should be observed closely when submitting an injury claim– including providing the Notice of Claim within 90 days post-accident and granting 30 days for the City’s request for a preliminary hearing.
Every second counts if you are interested in taking legal action against the city. You have 15 months to both file a notice and commence suit from your date of injury, making it imperative that you act fast! Reach out to Rosenberg & Rodriguez for helpful counsel today so we can help build an impenetrable case on your behalf. Don’t waste time – contact us now and get started with sound legal advice from Long Island bicycle injury attorneys!
Contact Our Long Island Bicycle Accident Lawyers Today
Don’t let insurance companies intimidate you into taking the blame for a bicycle accident! Our experienced Long Island bicycle accident lawyers at Rosenberg & Rodriguez can help you fight to get what is rightfully yours. Reach out now and book your free consultation so that our team can guide you through recovering the compensation due to you – don’t wait any longer, get in touch with us today!