Queens Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Compassionate Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers In Queens, NY
Our team of experienced drunk driving accident attorneys in Queens has witnessed the dangers associated with intoxicated drivers. It is strictly prohibited to operate a vehicle under the influence of alcohol in New York, and those who do face severe consequences such as fines and jail time. However, it’s not just the intoxicated individual who is at risk; their reckless decision-making endangers others on the road as well.
Drunk driving accidents can have devastating consequences, often resulting in serious injuries or even wrongful death. While it may be relatively easy to prove that a drunk driver is at fault for the accident and resulting injuries, victims still face numerous obstacles when seeking justice.
If you have been involved in a car accident with an intoxicated driver, you may have grounds for legal action and the ability to file a lawsuit against the responsible party. At Rosenberg & Rodriguez, our skilled personal injury attorneys understand the challenges faced by those affected by reckless drivers. We are dedicated to helping individuals rebuild their lives by pursuing maximum compensation through legal means. Contact our office today for a complimentary consultation to learn more about how we can assist you.
Serious Injuries Caused by Drunk Drivers In Queens, NY
Being involved in a car accident always carries the risk of severe injuries. Unfortunately, these risks increase exponentially when alcohol is a factor. Impaired judgment can cause drivers to disregard traffic signals, make dangerous maneuvers, or follow other vehicles too closely, resulting in devastating consequences for victims. Some injuries inflicted by drunk drivers can have long-term effects, including chronic pain and impairment that may persist for months or even years after the initial incident. Examples of common injuries caused by drunk driving accidents include:
- Spinal Cord Injuries: After a drunk driving accident in Queens, victims may experience long-term mobility issues or even paralysis due to spinal cord injuries. These life-altering consequences should not be taken lightly.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): TBIs can have a significant impact on those affected, often causing debilitating headaches, impaired focus, memory retention difficulties, and emotional instability. Recovery times can be lengthy, and some individuals may require lifelong assistance or care. Proper rehabilitation is crucial for maximizing the chances of a safe return to health.
- Broken Bones: A broken bone can have lasting implications beyond the initial healing period. In addition to increased difficulty with mobility and potential pain, individuals with fractures may face other health problems associated with their injuries, such as arthritis.
- Cuts and Lacerations: While cuts and lacerations may seem minor, resulting scarring can often be disfiguring. Additionally, there is a risk of blood loss and infection associated with drunk driving accidents.
If you have been affected by a drunk driving accident in Queens, whether you have sustained serious injuries or lost a loved one, our compassionate drunk driving accident lawyers are here to help and guide you through this difficult time. We understand the devastating impact of these losses and will tirelessly work to ensure justice is served and fair compensation is awarded for your loss. Contact us today to learn more about filing a wrongful death suit against those responsible for the tragedy caused by their negligence on the road.
Common Damages Available in Drunk Driving Accidents
Car accidents can result in significant financial costs. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may face medical expenses ranging from a few thousand dollars to over a million. Additionally, there are pain and suffering damages to consider. At Rosenberg & Rodriguez, we strive to help you recover the maximum compensation in the following categories:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost salaries
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Property damage
Your “pain and suffering” or non-economic damages might include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional state, including anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
If you want to obtain fair compensation, it is important to assess all the damages you have suffered. Our legal team will thoroughly investigate and gather evidence to support your case. Contact one of our Queens drunk driving accident lawyers who specialize in drunk driving accidents for a free initial consultation and to learn more about how we can help.
Effects Of Even Small Amounts Of Alcohol
While the legal BAC limit in New York and many other states is .08 or higher, it’s important to note that this does not ensure safe driving. According to a recent study by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), even small amounts of alcohol can impair a driver’s ability to operate a vehicle safely, potentially resulting in dangerous outcomes on the road.
- Driving can be impaired beginning at.01 percent BAC.
- Attentiveness can be impaired at .02 percent BAC.
- Tracking can be impaired at .01 percent BAC.
- Perception can be impaired at .03 percent BAC.
- The visual function can be impaired at .03 percent BAC.
- Cognition (judgment) can be impaired at .005 percent BAC.
The DUI Foundation has found that driving while under the influence of alcohol causes physical and financial harm to others. This recklessness results in a significant cost of $114.3 billion for American taxpayers every year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Can Be Held Liable For Drunk Driving Accidents In Queens, NY?
Dealing with a drunk driving accident case may seem simple at first, but there are often many additional factors to consider beyond just one person’s recklessness. It’s important to keep in mind that in some cases, individuals are encouraged or supplied with alcohol before driving. Therefore, it’s crucial to carefully consider all possibilities before determining the outcome of such cases where individual responsibility may not be sufficient.
As an adult, you are accountable for your safety and well-being. However, others may offer alcohol to adults, such as when hosting a party where alcohol is served. As hosts, it’s our responsibility to ensure we don’t give more drinks to someone who appears drunk to prevent any mishaps. We must all consider this to ensure everyone’s safety as accidents caused by drunk driving can have multiple parties responsible.
- The Drunk Driver – There is no question: an individual who drives under the influence of alcohol holds themselves accountable for their actions. This entails deciding to drive after drinking.
- Hosts – Hosts should be aware that by serving alcohol, they are potentially at risk of being held liable for a drunk driving accident. The danger of this occurring is greater if the host knowingly provides (or allows somebody else to provide) alcohol to an obviously intoxicated guest.
- Bar and Restaurant Staff and Owners – If a person consumes an excessive amount of alcohol at an upmarket restaurant or hotel, legal repercussions could occur for the management and staff due to their responsibility to prevent service of any more drinks when that individual has become clearly inebriated. The endless supply of booze served by these high-end establishments mandates they take extra caution with patrons’ drinking habits.
What Is The Dram Shop Act In New York?
The Dram Shop Act in New York allows individuals who were harmed due to someone else’s intoxication to take legal action against the vendor or social host who provided that person with alcohol. This law is primarily aimed at bars and restaurants that serve alcohol to visibly intoxicated adults, as well as those who knowingly allow underage individuals to drink on their premises.
Contact Our Queens Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Today
Although your insurance company may offer assistance following an accident caused by a drunk driver, they may not provide adequate financial compensation for the damages incurred. In some scenarios, the intoxicated driver may not have any car insurance coverage at all, leaving the victim with no means to cover medical expenses resulting from their injuries. Although the negligent drunk driver may be insured, it is not certain that the insurance will cover all your medical expenses and other costs. At Rosenberg & Rodriguez, our skilled Queens drunk driving accident lawyers specialize in these types of accidents and will ensure that you receive the appropriate compensation for your injuries.