Long Island Taxi Accident Lawyers
Qualified Taxi Accident Lawyers On Long Island
Whether you’re traversing through the streets of Long Island, Queens, or any other borough of New York City, it’s impossible to miss the ubiquitous yellow taxi cabs. However, if you happened to be harmed while riding in one or even near one on a sidewalk, understanding your rights is critical – as financial compensation may be accessible! With over 200K taxi drivers in New York City completing an estimated 1 million trips a day, the Taxi & Limousine Commission works hard to ensure your safety by ensuring all licensed drivers meet regulations. That way you can ride with ease, knowing that should any incident arise during your trip, you are legally covered.
With countless taxi accidents occurring on Long Island and all around New York City, it can be tricky to identify who is truly responsible. To guarantee you obtain the correct compensation for any damages from a taxicab collision, consult with an expert Long Island taxi accident lawyer with knowledge of the regulations that govern cab owners and operators. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you want legal help – our dedicated personal injury attorneys are here to offer free advice on your rights as well as walk you through recovering recompense against negligent parties.
Establishing Liability In A Long Island Taxi Accident
Should you have had the misfortune to be injured as a passenger in the taxi, it is of utmost importance to determine who was at fault so that they can provide financial compensation. For instance:
- Your taxi driver, who might have been negligent or reckless while driving the taxi
- Another motorist, who made a mistake and could have collided with your taxi,
- The mechanic who was tasked with repairing the taxi, but did a subpar job
- The entity responsible for the road, which might have been hazardous and contributed to an accident
Assigning liability is key for any successful case. In the absence of culpability, there can be no compensation for damages sustained. Unfortunately, some falsely assume that a taxi driver always has to bear responsibility; however, this isn’t necessarily accurate.
Pinpointing responsibility for an accident requires careful examination of any collisions that have occurred. It may be intimidating to try and replicate what happened, but our Long Island taxi accident attorneys are highly trained in questioning witnesses, studying police reports, and obtaining information from you about the incident itself. Our team is more than capable of pinpointing who’s at fault with accuracy.
Common Causes Of Taxi Accidents On Long Island
In 2020, New York City was burdened with the worst traffic congestion in America; so it is not surprising that taxi accidents are an everyday occurrence on Long Island. There can be a plethora of reasons for these unfortunate incidents ranging from driver exhaustion to attempting to drive too quickly. Let’s take a look at some of the major factors behind taxi collisions occurring on Long Island, NY:
- Failure To Yield The Right Of Way
- Failure To Comply With Traffic Regulations
- Distracted Driving
- Blocking The Traffic Or Driveway To Drop Off/Pick Up Passengers
- Not Paying Attention Before Going Through Or Turning At An Intersection
- Attempting To Beat A Red Light
- Lane Changes Made Incorrectly Or Unsafely
- Driving Under The Influence Of Liquor
Long Island Taxi Accident Statistics [Updated 2021]
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, there were a total of 6,071 taxi crashes reported in Nassau and Suffolk counties in 2020. Of these crashes, 2,558 resulted in injuries, and 6 were fatal. Here are some additional statistics:
- In 2020, the most common contributing factor in taxi crashes in Long Island was “driver inattention/distraction,” followed by “failure to yield right-of-way” and “following too closely.”
- The majority of taxi crashes in Long Island occur during the day, with the peak time being from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- In 2020, the highest number of taxi crashes occurred in Nassau County, with 4,219 reported crashes. Suffolk County had 1,852 reported taxi crashes.
It’s worth noting that these statistics are based on reported crashes, and not all crashes may be reported or included in the data. Additionally, the data only include crashes involving taxis, not rideshare services like Uber or Lyft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does The Type Of Taxi Cab Matter In An Accident?
If you’re traveling by yellow taxi, or even driving one yourself, you can be certain that the Taxi and Limousine Commission has mandated operators to insure themselves with substantial coverage. In case of an accident resulting in injury to multiple people, this may amount to up to $300,000 – with a minimum of $100,000 for every individual involved.
Even small mishaps shouldn’t cause alarm, as these limits should provide you with the financial reimbursement needed. If an incident occurs in one of those illegal cab or ridesharing services such as Uber or Lyft, their policies may only be applicable under certain conditions. However, if the insurance coverage is not enough to cover your losses and damages, we can take legal action by filing a lawsuit that could potentially award you beyond what was anticipated.
Who Can Be Held Liable For A Long Island Taxi Accident?
If you have been in an accident involving a Long Island taxi, there are several individuals and entities that can be held accountable. Of course, the cab driver is likely at fault and must contend with legal ramifications either through court proceedings or negotiated settlements. However, aside from them, other potentially responsible parties may include:
- Taxi Companies: Taxi companies bear the ultimate responsibility for any mishaps caused by their drivers or vehicles. To protect themselves, they must make sure to employ only trustworthy and capable chauffeurs, as well as provide security and maintained vehicles. If an employer fails in either of these areas, they may face legal action should adversity occur – making them culpable for such unfortunate events.
- Taxi Manufacturers: In some situations, taxi collisions are caused by defective or faulty parts. If a car malfunction, craftsmanship issue, or another element led to the accident – that means it is likely the manufacturer will hold legal accountability for it.
- Other Motorists: When a taxi accident occurs, it isn’t always the driver who is to blame. Other drivers on the road, cyclists, and pedestrians can all be responsible for any damages caused by the collision. Before you jump to conclusions about who was at fault in your cab incident, make sure that you have fully investigated all of those involved in order to ensure that justice is served appropriately.
- Government Agencies: The government of New York City owes its citizens a duty to construct and maintain roads that are safe for all road users. Should an accident happen due to hazardous or otherwise dangerous conditions on the road, those responsible may be held accountable by a governmental body.
How Long Do I Have To File A Taxi Accident Lawsuit On Long Island?
Every US state has its own timeline, termed a “statute of limitations,” during which those who have experienced an accident can legally pursue justice. In other words, this time frame marks the definitive window in which you must take legal action to ensure your right to compensation is secured.
Generally, individuals in New York have three years from the date of their car accident to seek compensation. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this rule that your Long Island taxi accident lawyer can explain more thoroughly. Notably, if you were involved in an auto collision with a government agency, it is essential for you to act fast as you only have 90 days after the incident occurs before time runs out on filing for damages.
Contact Our Long Island Taxi Accident Lawyers Today
If you or someone you know has been a part of an unfortunate taxi accident, it is paramount that our office be notified as soon as possible. We can assist with the acquisition of compensation to cover medical expenses and lost wages due to pain and suffering resulting from the incident. Timely action is essential; otherwise, there could be significant repercussions on how much recompense will be received in return.
Here at Rosenberg & Rodriguez, you won’t just be talking to a lawyer – but an experienced Long Island taxi accident attorney! Your time and your case are both invaluable to us; our personal injury lawyers boast over 70 years of combined experience in successfully aiding victims of accidents with substantial settlements and verdicts. And the best part? We offer free consultations so that we can understand more about your case and determine how we’re going to provide you with the help you deserve.